Monday 3 March 2014

Sydney snapshot

Sydney is liberating for me.  When I'm there I feel like I can be anyone, do anything - without anyone having to know.  Its the opposite in my home city, where I feel like I am being pushed further and further into a corner as my life seems to be on repeat - talking to the same people and doing the same things.  

So when I booked my next trip to the city of life I counted down the days in my kikki k. My flight left at 6.30pm Friday and the smile didn't leave my face as the taxi edged towards the airport, sunshine streaming through the windows.  My smile grew bigger as I joined the queue of commuters in the security line - what a jet setter I am!!   My smile stayed until the security guard pulled my bag from the belt and yelled "scissors, we've got some scissors."  After screening handfuls of my fluoro underwear through the machine in a humiliating process of elimination we finally found the offensive sharp object. By that stage I was ready to stab the smug security guard with them.

One huge glass of sauv blanc in the airline bar and a mini bottle of pinot gris on the plane later and my smile had returned.  It stayed when I saw my sister waiting at the gate in Sydney and for the rest of that night as we gossiped with her husband on the couch.

On Sat we had breakfast at Balmoral Beach House where the cappuccinos came with chocolate anchors sprinkled on top and we sat surrounded by funky displays of fruit, flowers and soda bottles.  Saturday night drinks at Icebergs saw us witness the 'best' of Sydney society.  although watching the late-30s blonde slide up and down the glass door while her g-string slid behind her made me question the 'exclusivity' of the location.

The Bondi to Bronte walk on Sunday rounded out the weekend.

It rained all weekend but I didn't care.  In Sydney the rain is warm and the birds keep singing.  

In Sydney, I smile.
In Sydney




No comments:

Post a Comment